Supporting Local Endeavors
Hello again, friend! Thanks for taking the time to read this! Do you know what your support means to me? This website keeps track of how many views a post gets and I am grateful for every view. I sit here with my laptop and smile at the fact that someone, somewhere, took time out of their day to see what I've written. It makes writing feel more worthwhile than a simple exercise in sharing my thoughts. So, thank you. :)
On to other matters that do not revolve around me or my writing! Do you know what's happening where you live? I'm not talking about road construction that makes your drive to work inconvenient. I'm asking if you know what production your local theatre is doing. Your high school is rearing up for a concert, do you know when it is? What about that one hole-in-the-wall restaurant?
Well, do you?
Maybe you know about Endgame and already have tickets. Or about how Josh Groban is finally coming to a city near you. I'll bet you could direct me easily to the nearest McDonalds without missing a beat. Am I wrong? Those things are big, flashy, and come with a lot of hype. Who really wants to see kids perform the same old things? Who wants to go to a restaurant that you've never heard of?
You should.
There are diamonds hidden all around you, if you look. Every musical I've been to at a high school event has blown my mind away. They have a live pit, they make their own costumes, and the stage crew is working with real equipment. What keeps you from going when you see a flyer? "Oh, I don't know anyone." "I don't have time." "It's too expensive." Do you know anyone in the movie you saw last night? Do you have time to spend 3 hours watching Endgame? Do you have $5-$10? It's worth it!
Beauty and the Beast was performed in March 2019 by Mars Area High School in Pennsylvania, Kimberly High School in Idaho, and Siegel High School in Tennessee. What is your high school performing? Did you miss it? Try to mark your calendars so you don't miss the next one. Or look for other high schools, your local college, chances are someone is performing somewhere and you should go support them!
Kassiani Restaurant in Burley, Idaho is another wonderful place that you could visit. They make their own bread and use local produce for their food. They even have a grand piano where talented people play for your entertainment. Can you get that at an Olive Garden? Even they use frozen bread sticks. There was this restaurant that I passed by on my way to work every day, it had a cool sign and I thought "someday I'll go there". But I never went. Guess what? They're closed now. The chance to try something new and wonderful is gone forever.
This is the potential end of those diamonds if you don't find them. They'll be lost, bulldozed, or die because they didn't get the funds. They'll be gone forever because the mass population collectively decided "I'll do it later". Why wait? This isn't just about the businesses around you, it's also about friends. Does someone create art? Does someone else sew? Who do you know has an Etsy page? And how do you treat them? Do you ignore their efforts? Do you ask them for free crafts? Or do you question their choice of activity as unprofitable?
(Could you calm down a little? This is sounding accusatory.)
I'm. Sorry.
This is important.
There are people out there who need your support. They're trying their best, but they can't do it alone. They need you to find them and show them that they matter. They need you to enjoy their efforts and bring more people to them.
Find someone today. Make plans to actively support them today.
:) Let me know how that goes for you.
On to other matters that do not revolve around me or my writing! Do you know what's happening where you live? I'm not talking about road construction that makes your drive to work inconvenient. I'm asking if you know what production your local theatre is doing. Your high school is rearing up for a concert, do you know when it is? What about that one hole-in-the-wall restaurant?
Well, do you?
Maybe you know about Endgame and already have tickets. Or about how Josh Groban is finally coming to a city near you. I'll bet you could direct me easily to the nearest McDonalds without missing a beat. Am I wrong? Those things are big, flashy, and come with a lot of hype. Who really wants to see kids perform the same old things? Who wants to go to a restaurant that you've never heard of?
You should.
There are diamonds hidden all around you, if you look. Every musical I've been to at a high school event has blown my mind away. They have a live pit, they make their own costumes, and the stage crew is working with real equipment. What keeps you from going when you see a flyer? "Oh, I don't know anyone." "I don't have time." "It's too expensive." Do you know anyone in the movie you saw last night? Do you have time to spend 3 hours watching Endgame? Do you have $5-$10? It's worth it!
Beauty and the Beast was performed in March 2019 by Mars Area High School in Pennsylvania, Kimberly High School in Idaho, and Siegel High School in Tennessee. What is your high school performing? Did you miss it? Try to mark your calendars so you don't miss the next one. Or look for other high schools, your local college, chances are someone is performing somewhere and you should go support them!
Kassiani Restaurant in Burley, Idaho is another wonderful place that you could visit. They make their own bread and use local produce for their food. They even have a grand piano where talented people play for your entertainment. Can you get that at an Olive Garden? Even they use frozen bread sticks. There was this restaurant that I passed by on my way to work every day, it had a cool sign and I thought "someday I'll go there". But I never went. Guess what? They're closed now. The chance to try something new and wonderful is gone forever.
This is the potential end of those diamonds if you don't find them. They'll be lost, bulldozed, or die because they didn't get the funds. They'll be gone forever because the mass population collectively decided "I'll do it later". Why wait? This isn't just about the businesses around you, it's also about friends. Does someone create art? Does someone else sew? Who do you know has an Etsy page? And how do you treat them? Do you ignore their efforts? Do you ask them for free crafts? Or do you question their choice of activity as unprofitable?
(Could you calm down a little? This is sounding accusatory.)
I'm. Sorry.
This is important.
There are people out there who need your support. They're trying their best, but they can't do it alone. They need you to find them and show them that they matter. They need you to enjoy their efforts and bring more people to them.
Find someone today. Make plans to actively support them today.
:) Let me know how that goes for you.

Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for leaving a comment!
Peanut butter is the secret to happiness.