How You can Find Time to Read



Hahahahaha!

Who has time to read??  These days it's wake up, get ready for the day, head off to work, slave away, come back home, pretend to clean, and go to sleep.  If you have an extra minute to spare, you actually make food instead of something you can microwave.  Then on the weekends it's groceries, social obligations, take care of the laundry that's been piling up, try to relax and reset so on Monday you won't be too burned out to do it all over again!  Sitting down and reading a book is so far down that list we might as well just forget it.

But we know we should read, right?  Continue to learn, challenge our minds, exercise creativity and all that?  Why limit our entertainment to movies, TV shows, and Youtube?  Reading makes a well-rounded character.  Or at least it fosters one.  If we don't take the time to read at least one book every now and then, we'll be as flat as our cellphones.

But why does it have to take so much tiiiime??

My solution for that problem has been simple: audio books.  When I was a teenager, I'd listen to The Inheritance Cycle as I put puzzles together.  When my job was 40 minutes away I'd listen to audio books in my car via CD player.  Now when I drive or clean or otherwise need to do a task that leaves my mind with nothing to do, I listen to books via Audible.

It's not the same as reading, and it does take more time, but this way I can go through a book or so a week instead of a book a year.

What if you can't stand audio books?

Take books with you on your phone with Kindle, or keep a book handy in your purse, or set aside time to do so.  Make an appointment with yourself.  If it's important to you to read, find a way to make it a priority.  Sacrifice something to make room.  If it's not...then you need a different article.

Thanks for taking the time to read mine. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do I Write?

The Art of Discipline

Supporting Local Endeavors