What's Your Favorite Genre?
I like a balanced meal. Let's have some sci-fi, some fantasy, some thriller. I'm down for a good mystery, a slice of life, or something more medieval. YA is fun, Adult can be thought provoking. Sometimes it's nice to sit down with a kid's book and enjoy the art.
So can someone tell me why authors need to write in just one genre?
"They don't need to."
No, readers just like it a whole lot more when they can rely on Brandon Sanderson to write a fantasy novel instead of a random horror book.
"Authors write better when they cultivate a thorough understanding of a genre."
Yeah, deep is better than wide and all that, but after a while don't the books all start sounding the same? Steak is pretty good, and if I cooked steak every day for a year, I'd get pretty good at making steak. But don't you think the meal would be improved if I also made mashed potatoes? Salad? Dessert?
"Listen, if you want to make money, you've got to follow the rules."
Fine! Screw the money then! I want to make good books more than I want to make money! I wasn't looking for a fast track to monetary "success" anyway.
Sigh.
Where do you stand on this matter? As a reader or a writer. Do you stick to one genre? Or do you like to have different flavors for every week?
So can someone tell me why authors need to write in just one genre?
"They don't need to."
No, readers just like it a whole lot more when they can rely on Brandon Sanderson to write a fantasy novel instead of a random horror book.
"Authors write better when they cultivate a thorough understanding of a genre."
Yeah, deep is better than wide and all that, but after a while don't the books all start sounding the same? Steak is pretty good, and if I cooked steak every day for a year, I'd get pretty good at making steak. But don't you think the meal would be improved if I also made mashed potatoes? Salad? Dessert?
"Listen, if you want to make money, you've got to follow the rules."
Fine! Screw the money then! I want to make good books more than I want to make money! I wasn't looking for a fast track to monetary "success" anyway.
Sigh.
Where do you stand on this matter? As a reader or a writer. Do you stick to one genre? Or do you like to have different flavors for every week?

Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for leaving a comment!
Peanut butter is the secret to happiness.