Mighty Monsters from My Mind: Siren




When I was younger, I would come up with all sorts of monsters (thank you, Pokemon and Digimon). I'd draw them up, imagine how they would act, and thought up small snippets of stories surrounding them. I still have them lying around, perhaps one day I'll make a post and show them to you. Anyway, apparently it's a thing I still like to do. If you've read my first book, you've already been introduced to one of my creations: the Titanium Construct. Or TC, because that's a bit of a mouthful. I'll talk about that monster a different time. For now, let me introduce you to a new monster in Stages of Earth: Interlude (the second book I'm currently working on).

Behold! The Siren!
As described by my husband, it is "wonderfully disturbing". No, I did not draw this. Alhazartfinds on Fiverr did. And boy howdy did it come out great!

Now, let me tell you a little about this horrible masterpiece. Its race comes from a gas planet. It lives in a specific altitude range where their bodies can withstand the pressure as well as the heat. "Swimming" through the thick air, they can't go higher or lower without being poisoned by the differences or eaten by the even larger creatures that live there. 

The Sirens are a sentient bunch. Since they have no vocal chords, they communicate through their dexterous manes. Those manes, and the fibrous fins that follow are like super sensitive fingers. They use that to construct free-floating buildings that provide protection against the wind storms of their world.

A few of these creatures have lived on Earth over the centuries. These are the creatures that were said to have lured sailors into shipwrecks. Their "song" isn't an audible thing, but more like a thrum you can feel in your chest that pulls you in their direction. The strong willed can resist, but then again, a stronger Siren can overcome that willpower.

As Earth doesn't have the same conditions as their home planet, you'd think they'd sooner explode than thrive. This is where a little bit of magic comes in. Each Siren, when visiting a place with less than optimal conditions, is granted a magical barrier around them. Within, it keeps them at the correct pressure and allows them to continue to breathe. Without, it allows them to swim practically anywhere. They prefer the water, to be sure, but Sirens can also travel through air without touching land.

Why are they on Earth? Well, that is explained in Stages of Earth: Interlude. :) I can't give away all my secrets, now can I? At least, not all at once. Enjoy this sneak peak at least! More will be on the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do I Write?

The Art of Discipline

Supporting Local Endeavors